This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAN A Lower employee fire me... New York

can my boss have another employee fire me when i am the manager shouldn't he have to do it...

We don't have much info here but yes, it's legal for an employer/boss to tell another employee to let you know you are terminated. There is no law against it. (though it may not be the best way to handle a termination)

(unless you happen to have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary)
    Last edited by Betty3; 03-26-2009, 05:00 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Agree. If whoever has the authority delegates that authority downward, it may not be good management, but it isn't illegal.

Have you confirmed directly with YOUR manager that you are, in fact, terminated?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Yeah, it can be done. But I also know that when I've seenit done it causes nothing but major trouble for the boss.

Technically, you can ignore the person of lower authority. Because, well, they are of lower authority. If you take their word for it and leave, and then find out that they lied, what then? I say ignore them. Then, if you do get in trouble because you really was fired, you have a decent excuse.

I cannot fathom WHO in their right mind would do that, but yes it can be done.
        I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
        Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
        I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
        Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

There is nothing in the law that says who can or cannot fire you. Anyone who has been delegated by the company to do so can. This is not a legal matter.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

CBG, what does a person do then? Some guy on the lower end of the ladder tell you that the boss fired you. What then? Clock out and go home? And if the "messenger" lied? What then?
            I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
            Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
            Don't worry, be happy.

Comment

As I said in my first post, we don't have much info. However, I would assume there was more to it than just the lower level employee saying, "You're fired" w/o any further instructions/information or w/o any follow-up by the boss or HR. The employee could also have asked his boss if what he was told was true.

The lower level employee was probably given the authority delegated to him to do the firing.
              Last edited by Betty3; 03-27-2009, 10:04 PM.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Boss wants to fire me, he can do it himself. Some lower level schmuck ain't gonna get it done.
                Don't worry, be happy.

Comment

Have you confirmed directly with YOUR manager that you are, in fact, terminated?
                  Let's see, this is what I said two days ago.
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I never said the employee couldn't confirm with the boss.

What I said was that this is not a subject addressed by law. There is no law that tells an employer who they can and cannot delegate to do a firing. This is not a legal issue. This is an internal question only. I suspect that the legislature has bigger problems to worry about and is not going to waste their time passing laws to manage the boss's job for him.

If you want to keep working until the boss tells you himself, that's up to you. However, that does NOT make it illegal for the boss to delegate the job to the office cat, if he so chooses.
                    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X