Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Travel Time California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Travel Time California

    We are a hotel company based out of California. We have a roving maintenance crew that works at different locations, mostly one week at a time.

    Do we have to pay travel time, from their home to the first job site, even if it's in a different city. Typically the crew travels between 2-3 hours each Monday morning and returns Friday evening, depending on where the location of the job site. They live in various cities.

    This is a routine occurrence and they have been told, that they will have to report Monday to whatever job site we ask them to.

    We provide them with gas money for travel, but they use their own vehicles.

    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by american1234; 03-19-2009, 04:12 PM.

  • #2
    Would you want to be paid for it?

    Don't go by the letter of the law, compensate your employees if you feel they deserve it. It will boost moral and reduce employee turn-over.


    • #3
      California has stricter rules than federal, so I'll let a California expert answer your question regarding the first and last trip of the day.

      Are you paying just for gas or the IRS rate of (currently) $.55 per mile? The Labor Code states that employees must be reimbursed for business expenses and has determined that the IRS rate is the minimum required for business use of personal auto to meet this requirement.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.