This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpaid 30 Min Break

WORKED IN THE HOSPITAL SETTING. i WAS INFORMED BY MY CHARGE NURSE THAT WHEN WE TAKE OUR 30 MIN UNPAID BREAK, SHE WAS NOTIFIED BY THE cno ON ORIENTATION THAT WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PUT OUR FEET UP OR GET SOME SLEEP IN THE BREAKROOM. i FIND IT REALLY ODD AND QUESTIONABLE CONSIDERING THAT IT IS UNPAID. i WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION TAHT SINCE IT SI NOT A PAID BREAK I CAN PRETTY MUCH DO WHAT I WANT LIKE TAKE A REST TO RE-ENERGIZE MYSELF. i WAS TRYING TO SEARCH THE WEB IF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS LEGAL OR NOT. ANY OPITION OR CAN ANYONE GUIDE ME WHAT IS THE LEGAL ANSWER TO THIS?

Please do not type in all caps. It makes your post very hard to read and is considered shouting on the internet.

It sounds petty, but it's probably legal. I'm guessing you are subject to being called back to work during this time and they want to make sure you are awake and alert, just in case.

It would also help if you posted your state, as requested when you opened this thread.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Sleeping

I'm betting they can prohibit you from sleeping in the breakroom because it is their space and they can dictate how it is to be used. It could have to do with insurance or it could be other employees who feel uncomfortable entering or using the breakroom if someone is sleeping in it.
      If you have a car in the parkinglot, ask if it would be ok to take a nap there, that will probably clear it up.

(If you decided you wanted to smoke on your break, you'd have to do it in designated areas, so no, you can't do 'whatever' you want, or at least you can't do it wherever you want to..)

Comment

OTOH, the problem with sleeping in the car is that you won't wake up; plus it takes a while to get alert again. If the OP is involved in patient care, that would not be a good thing.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

And technically the parking lot is their property and you disallow you from "napping" in your car also.

30 mins really isn't enough time to eat & get a nap anyway.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X