Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

MINIMUM work hours per day Texas

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MINIMUM work hours per day Texas

    I am small business owner in Texas. I was told by someone that if I hired someone that they are required to work at least 4 hours minimum per work day. I understand there is no max and all the info on breaks and lunch times. So, how do I validate this information. I have been all over the web reading.

    So here i am.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Oh, and I just hired our first employee. I gave him a paid break of 20 minutes on the first day. He worked 6 and 1/2 hours that day.

  • #2
    The reason you can't find a minimum is that there is none in Texas. A very few states have minimum reporting laws which state that if an employee reports for work as scheduled and is not provided with his full work schedule for the day, some minimum number of hours must be paid. Texas is not one of those states.

    You are correct that Texas requires neither meal breaks nor rest periods. Generally speaking, 20 minutes is the least that can be provided for meal break, if you want to make it unpaid. 30 minutes would be safer, but that's because of the FLSA, not because of any state or federal law requiring a meal period be provided.

    Personally, I think all states should mandate meal periods at the least, and rest periods as well. But more than half don't.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.