Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Receiving unemployment in NY since 2007, got remuneration in 2008, help! New York

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiving unemployment in NY since 2007, got remuneration in 2008, help! New York

I lost my job (new york city) toward the end of 2007. I've been receiving unemployment benefit since then. I also received remuneration in early 2008 as part of the "seperation agreement". As such, do you think I can continue to receive unemployment benefit when my benefit year ends? The reason I brought up this is the remuneration is subject to tax in 2008 so as the contribution to unemployment insurance fund by my former employer. If I pay tax in 2008, am I also entitled for unemployment benefit too?

Thanks in advance.

You've been receiving UI benefits for more than a year? I don't know how that happened. You must have had some income in some weeks since then that extended it. Or you opened a new claim. Or they just screwed up.

A claim is open for one year. Once it expires, you would have to open a new claim. However, if you don't have the requisite wages in the lookback period, you wouldn't financially qualify. If you were to file a new claim today, the base (lookback) period would be 10/1/07 through 9/30/08. If you had no earnings in even one of those calendar quarters, you would be deemed financially ineligible.
    http://www.labor.state.ny.us/ui/ui_index.shtm

And you don't pay any portion of the UI tax in New York; it is all borne by the employer.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I started getting one in the beginning of 2007 and stopped. When I lost the one toward the end of 2007, I guess I pick up the piece from the early one until they are done in early 2008. I filed a new claim afterward and this one is coming to end. However, I received remuneration in the beginning of 2008. That's why I wonder if that would become the base for a new claim. Any idea?

thanks!

Comment

Again, if you were to file a new claim today, the base (lookback) period would be 10/1/07 through 9/30/08. If you had no earnings in even one of those calendar quarters, you would be deemed financially ineligible.

Now I'm not saying don't file, I'm just saying don't be terribly optimistic. Unemployment benefits don't last forever.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X