X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced long lunches? California

Hi,
    The employer I have had for nearly a year has asked me to do a work a day that is less than eight hours (around 6.5 or 7 hours in total length eg: 10:30a-12:00 and then 1:30-5:15p) and take a 90 minute lunch so that she can get longer coverage of the day for less money. Is that legal?

Thanks for your response.
    D.

Yes; perfectly legal.

Comment

Really?

Hi there. Thanks for the response. By the way are you a lawyer? Doesn't seem as though it should be legal, but doesn't surprise me the way things are in this country. Would you happen to know if an employer is required to give you notice of schedule changes (more than the day before?) She's done that as well. Not a great employer as I guess you gather.

D.

Comment

Don't have to be a lawyer. It's legal because there isn't anything saying it's illegal.

However, you may be entitled to an additional hour's pay at minimum wage for working a split shift. Search for "split shift" here:
        http://www.dir.ca.gov/IWC/IWCArticle4.pdf
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by cancald View Post
          Hi there. Thanks for the response. By the way are you a lawyer? Doesn't seem as though it should be legal, but doesn't surprise me the way things are in this country. Would you happen to know if an employer is required to give you notice of schedule changes (more than the day before?) She's done that as well. Not a great employer as I guess you gather.

D.
          Nope, not a lawyer, but many years of employment law experience.

Your employer gets to dictate your work schedule. We all work at our employer's convenience. No, she doesn't have to give you a certain amount of advance notice of a schedule change but it certainly would be nice if she did whenever possible.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X