This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I fired?

A few days ago I was sent home from work and told I was unable to come back until the manager contacted me, is this considered a suspension? If so how long can I be suspended without pay? At what point would I be considered fired?

cherie, to have complete info, what is the name of your state, please. Thanks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

In the common usage of the term, yes, that is a suspension.

Are you exempt or nonexempt? And if exempt, what was the reason given, if any, for your suspension. If you don't know, tell us what you do in your job.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for your responses.

I’m working in a department store located in California. A few weeks ago a customer sent a complaint to the store manager expressing to the manager that she was not happy with our interaction. The manager wrote a statement and had me sign it and expressed to me that she was giving me another chance because I was a good employee. I've been employed for approximately 7 months. A few days ago another complaint was sent to the store manager. This time I was told to clock out and to not come back until she calls me.

Comment

Yes, that is a suspension and there is no law about how long suspensions can last. You can file for unemployment in the interim, but I can not offer a guess on your chances. You have nothing to lose by filing, though.
          Pattymd
          Last edited by Pattymd; 03-12-2009, 12:02 AM.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

And as odd as it may seem, they do not have to tell you, that you are being fired. They can just not work you anymore.

You could always give them a call and ask what your status is. But it sounds like it might be time to look for a new job.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X