This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 hrs a week Connecticut

if i was hired for 40 hrs a week can my manager cut me down to 20 hrs a week for a personality conflict?

yeeeeeeep.
    Unless you signed a contract that states otherwise, then YES.
    Your manager is playing games, which there is no law that prevents it.
    Did your manager at least tell this to your face, or have one of his subordinates tell you? Doesnt matter in the least, but u can at least see how gutless worms these kinds of people really are underneath that tough exterior...
    Your options in the workplace are the three "L's"- Live with it, Lobby for change, or Leave. Screaming for an attorney will do no good most of the time.

Comment

In the absence of a legally binding contract or CBA that specifically guarantees 40 hours a week, your hours can be cut to anything the employer wants for any reason the employer wants, as long as that reason does not violate Title VII and related laws.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

How about increasing hours over 40?

My employer hired me to work 40 hours (M - F, 9-5), they pay me "x" amount of dollars every other week as a salaried employee. I am a real estate assistant, I work in an office with only 2 other people (husband and wife team).

A couple of questions I have......

1) Can they now demand that I work in addition to my 40 hrs. a couple of weekends a month and evenings for no additional pay? And am I legally obligated to oblige? I do have a life, a husband and children.

2) If I were to resign, would I be able to make a case and collect UI? This would be one of the small reasons why I would leave. It has gotten too competitive. They assign me to do this work and that work and then when clients start wanting to work with me only, the owners get vendictive.

3) I've been trying to get something in writing from them since I was hired (July 2008) to establishes a job description, required hours, holiday time, vacation, personal time, etc., they refuse to give me anything. They seem to change job duties and responsibilities for me on a daily basis depending on their mood.

It's getting to the point now where I can sleep, I toss and turn all night (now going on 3 straight nights with almost no sleep. One more thing, took my daughter to the doctor yesterday, he said to keep her home until Monday (I have a note). Can they fire me for this and if so, would I be able to collect? As I have been looking, and there are just no jobs out there right now.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Comment

MLMBJM, please start your own thread. Your questions are not the same as the original poster of this thread.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
            MLMBJM, please start your own thread. Your questions are not the same as the original poster of this thread.
            Done. Thank you!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X