X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT accrued vacation pay upon termination Connecticut

Through a search I found the following:

http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstn...glaws.htm#term

Payment of fringe benefits upon termination of employment. (Sec. 31-76k).

If an employer policy or collective bargaining agreement provides for the payment of accrued fringe benefits upon termination, including but not limited to paid vacations, holidays, sick days and earned leave, and an employee is terminated without having received such accrued fringe benefits, such employee shall be compensated for such accrued fringe benefits exclusive of normal pension benefits in the form of wages in accordance with such agreement or policy but in no case less than the earned average rate for the accrual period pursuant to sections 31-71a to 31-71i, inclusive.

Does this mean that accrued vacation time will only be payed if there is a policy in place specifically stating payment will be made upon termination? What if there is no policy at all? Or, would there have to be a policy stating that payment will not be made upon termination?

Thanks for any help.

Employers are required to pay earned vacation and/or other PTO upon separation only if they have a policy or CBA requiring such pay. (no policy/CBA requiring it-don't have to pay)
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

And though I agree with Betty3, there's an old line in HR--Practice makes policy. IOW, the policy need not necessarily have to be written, if there is a past practice of regularly paying it under given circumstances.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Agree, the policy doesn't have to be written - just a policy (past practice) of paying it out at termination. If there is no policy (doesn't have to be written that there is none) or past practice of paying it out, then they don't have to. (unless you have a CBA requiring the payout at termination)
        Last edited by Betty3; 02-14-2009, 08:28 AM.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you both for taking the time to help.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

I have a question on this also I just got laid off June 4th and was only given 20 hour of the 2 weeks I had left, now before people would get full payment.
              They changed there hand book mid April to now say that Vacation pay is pro rated to when you leave the company.
              So am I screwed
              Here's more to what's going on sorry it's so long.

This started in April when I got a herina and I beleved I got hert at work when I found out I reported this to work. They had a meeting with my manager the HR manager and the Saftey manager and me IT Site Manager. I was told I was going to be in some trouble for not reporting the injery right a way, doing union work and also not following a SOP I was never show.
              Also what I was doing is common practice there, well to prevent me from loosing my job I told them the doctor didn't know when it happened.
              1st issue I was out of work for a week and was told I would need to use a week of vacation but they made a hand book changes while I was out. the rule now reads Supervisors and Managers will be paid for the 1st week out for short term disability. none supervisor emp will not get this benifit. I am a manager by title but don't manager anyone so I don't know how this reads out.

Thanks I don't have any money or a lawyer as I'm laid off now.

Dan

Comment

Daninline, please start your own thread, since your situation is somewhat different, plus you have additional issues and we're going to need to ask some follow-up questions.

Thanks.
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                  Daninline, please start your own thread, since your situation is somewhat different, plus you have additional issues and we're going to need to ask some follow-up questions.

Thanks.
                  Sorry about that

Dan

Comment

A new thread has now been started by daninline.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X