This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severance vs. Required Notice Kansas Kansas

(I posted this in Kansas section, too, but wasn't sure if it was the right area)

I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to make sure, since I am certainly no expert on labor laws.

The company I worked for required (in their policy) a four-week notice if you quit. I've never been anywhere that required more than two, but that's irrelevant.

Well, they had a layoff, and they only paid one week severance, plus a week for every year, so most people got two weeks or less, since it's a pretty new and growing company.

Anyway, I've always been told that the general rule is, if they lay you off, they pay you at least the same amount that they require. Is this more a rule of thumb, or is there actually any law regarding that?

I'm assuming there is no law, but it certainly seems unethical to ask for four and only give one (assuming people were let go without cause, i.e. a layoff)

Thanks in advance!

My answer remains unchanged
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Thank you much. I assumed that was the case.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X