This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can and employer put a stop payment to a payroll check??? Iowa

My employer Fired me and then put a stop payment on my paycheck and my christmas bonus and didnt send me my last paycheck....We had takin out an advance about 2 months ago and He was takin it off my check every week..Can he put a stop payment on my payroll check??

Yes, he can put a stop payment on the check, just like you could on a personal check you wrote.

What does he say about reissuing it for a lesser amount? Did you sign an agreement regarding the advance? What did it say about deducting any remaining balance of the advance from final pay?

It's very unlikely the Christmas bonus would be a contractual obligation that he would be required by contract law to pay.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

No I never signed anything, He put a stop payment to one check and then to my christmas bonus and then never sent my last check..So it was a total of 3 checks.. Is there anything I can do???

Comment

File a claim with the state Dept. of Labor for all as yet unpaid wages (but likely not the bonus).
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Keep in mind that if the employer does not get the advance back, he may sue you for any balance due.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

i understand he can take us to court for that money but we paid most of it! We don't owe him wat he took..Those 2 checks and that christmas check was WAY over what we owed him..And we didn't sign anything when we got the money from him! So with out us signin that how can he take us to court with no proff??

Comment

I'm not saying that what he did was correct but I am sure he can prove he gave you an advance (with the check he paid you with) and he can also prove that you have been repaying this advance out of your paychecks.

I'd file a complaint with the DOL for non-payment of wages today and go from there.

Comment

But those checks that he gave us didnt say anything! He had to write us a personal check a couple times cuz our checks got lost in the mail

Comment

I would still file a claim for any unpaid wages with the state DOL.
                  Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

As long as you are filing the wage claim (and you should), include the bonus. It might work. It might not work. But it does not hurt to ask and different states can and do have very different rules on this. Force the employer to make their argument to the state on why the bonus was not paid. Give the other side a chance to make a mistake.
                    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X