X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inclement Weather Wisconsin

Hi,
    Just a quick question here. Once or twice a winter we get some pretty severe weather conditions (i.e. blizzard, icy road conditions). Some of our employees live pretty far out in the country and are the last to get plowed/salted. Recently our employer told us that we can no longer use vacation time or sick time if we call in due to weather. Can they legally do this?
    thanks in advance

Originally posted by mawma View Post
    Hi,
    Just a quick question here. Once or twice a winter we get some pretty severe weather conditions (i.e. blizzard, icy road conditions). Some of our employees live pretty far out in the country and are the last to get plowed/salted. Recently our employer told us that we can no longer use vacation time or sick time if we call in due to weather. Can they legally do this?
    thanks in advance
    Yes, they can. If you are a non-exempt employee, they can dock you for not coming in on those days.

My notes (reference) say that if an exempt employee can't make it into work (for the whole day) because of the weather it's considered a "personal day" off & they don't have to be paid for it. I don't have anything on Wisconsin specific though.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

snow

Originally posted by mawma View Post
      Hi,
      thanks in advance
      If I was your employer I would tell you to take your time or don't come in. Safety is always the best policy.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X