This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Salaried Employees Michigan

I am a production supervisor at a international auto parts manufacturer/supplier in Michigan. I am a salaried employee who does not receive any type of additional compensation for any overtime work outside of my regular bi-weekly wages. Because I'm not paid for overtime, I'm quite sure this categorizes me as exempt.

This week HR informed the company that sometime during the month of Janurary 2009, our departments will not be working for 1 week due to slow times and due to the fact that our orders have decreased. This obviously leaves hourly associates without a week's pay. After the meeting there have been rumors that Salaried employees will not be paid as well. Is this something that HR can do or will I still receive my normal pay for this "unexpected" week off, barring that I am not required to report to work that week?

Thanks in advance..

The rules on the docking of Exempt Salaried employees are the 29 CFR 541.602 regulations. Under the rules the employer can legally dock an Exempt Salaried employee for any workweek in which no work was done.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Thanks for the response..

The only question I have regarding this is, in section 541.602 it also states the following...

"If the employee is ready, willing and
      able to work, deductions may not be made for time when work is not
      available."

Does this apply to upcoming week when we might be required to stay home due to our departments not working?

Comment

The cite DAW refers to overrides the "available for work" clause.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X