This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• demotion and paycut question in Oregon Oregon

About a month ago I was demoted from a Store Manager to Assistant Manager with almost no notice. 3 months before this I did fail a training shop miserably and received little to no support from my boss. I received no warnings that my job was in jeopardy, no written disciplinary action, and no specific comments stating that I hadn't improved the restaurant to a satisfactory level. During the talk in which I was told I was being demoted my boss gave no specific reasons beyond that the store hadn't progressed fast enough for him and that my family issues were distracting from my work (took a total of 2 days off in 5 months for wife's medical issues). He also stated that my pay had to be reduced, but it would be the highest an assistant can be paid (no specific numbers given). The next day my boss was demoted to store manager for unknown reasons and no one communicated with me about my pay. 2 weeks later my check was docked about $200 (about $5000 a year). I brought up two specific examples of people in similar situations to my new boss and his boss: the first was a friend that got demoted and never had her pay docked at all within the last 6 months of this happening, the other was someone who's paperwork I submitted that got paid within a few hundred dollars a year of what a store manager makes. They still told me that they had done the best they could do with the payroll department and didn't offer to review my salary. They also admitted that my previous boss hadn't given me the support I needed and said that it was pretty obvious that I was used as a scapegoat (exact words being, "I was afraid he was using you as an easy way out.")

I have two questions: Were they able to demote me and include my family issues effecting my work as a reason without giving me written warnings of any sort? Also are there any specific laws that prohibit them from cutting my pay a certain amount without my signature?
    If there is anything that could be done with this beyond what I've asked, please let me know.

Originally posted by nickbk View Post
    I have two questions: Were they able to demote me and include my family issues effecting my work as a reason without giving me written warnings of any sort? Also are there any specific laws that prohibit them from cutting my pay a certain amount without my signature?
    If there is anything that could be done with this beyond what I've asked, please let me know.
    Yes, they can demote you for the reasons noted without any advance written warnings unless you have a binding employment contract requiring advance written warnings.

They can demote you/decrease your pay without your written signature (unless you have a binding employment contract requiring your written signature) though they should give you advance notice of any demotion/decrease in pay.

Also, they do not have to treat all employees the same as long as you aren't discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender).
    Betty3
    Last edited by Betty3; 12-11-2008, 10:15 PM. Reason: add info
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

You're welcome.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X