This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My own lawyer worked against me! Florida

Please let me know your opinions or experiences.
    I went to a lawyer for help for a case I thought I was wrong full terminated.
    It's been over 2 months and I paid some fee around $1000 and no result.
    I questioned her why not she could do more now that lawyer is pissed at me and trying to blame me for things.
    She's now claiming that I did not give her all the facts.
    If I know more about labor laws then I would not needed her. I answered all the questions she had and gave her all the paper works and documentations that I had. I think she is looking for an easy to score case and found my case is a bit of a challenge for her. How am I supposed to know which piece of information to tell her if she never asked me?
    To be honest with you, I don't think she knew. And now just a blaming game.
    I don't want to be specific here, but ask me some questions then I will try to add more.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by law2 View Post
    Please let me know your opinions or experiences.
    I went to a lawyer for help for a case I thought I was wrong full terminated.
    It's been over 2 months and I paid some fee around $1000 and no result.
    I questioned her why not she could do more now that lawyer is pissed at me and trying to blame me for things.
    She's now claiming that I did not give her all the facts.
    If I know more about labor laws then I would not needed her. I answered all the questions she had and gave her all the paper works and documentations that I had. I think she is looking for an easy to score case and found my case is a bit of a challenge for her. How am I supposed to know which piece of information to tell her if she never asked me?
    To be honest with you, I don't think she knew. And now just a blaming game.
    I don't want to be specific here, but ask me some questions then I will try to add more.
    Thanks!
    *PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE*

If you do not believe that your attorney is doing everything that she should (in your opinion) be doing, you should first schedule a meeting and talk to her about it. Make notes about what you want to discuss and what questions you want answered before you go to the visit. If you don't understand something that she is saying, ask her to explain it again. Don't settle for a phone call or e-mail, meet in person. If you disagree with her strategy, tell her that. Make her explain why she is doing what she is doing. As you admit in your e-mail, you do not understand the law -- perhaps there is a good reason for why she is taking the course of action that she is in regard to your specific case.

If, after this meeting, you continue to believe that she is not representing your best interests, then you may want to file a complaint with the local bar association or the Florida State Bar Association. Every city or at least the county where you live has a local bar association. Call them to talk to someone about your situation. Or contact the Florida Bar Association at http://www.flabar.org/

However, you should start with the attorney.

Good luck.

Mr. Pink

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure I want to continue to pay her hourly rate just to talk to her. I tried many times to ask her what could we do to more from our side, and she's spitting out some mumbo jumbo that I need to provide her more facts. I gave her all the facts she just could not work with them.
      Or she simply does not want to listen to me. I think the relationship is at the point of no return since I have a feeling we are not talking about the same things.

Should these lawyers ask their clients all the questions they need to know that may help the case instead of quickly blaming their clients for their limited knowledges? Are these people way out of touch with reality or am I just bad luck? I came to her for help since I felt I was terminated unfairly.
      She took my money and could not produce any result, now turned around and tried to preach me. What's a joke!
      law2
      Last edited by law2; 12-06-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Sometimes there is just no case once all the facts are in. That isn't the lawyer's fault. It may or may not be yours. If there were important details that you left out that came to light later, yes, the lawyer isn't going to be terribly happy. Lawyers do not like it when they feel the client has not been totally honest and up front with them. You might have felt you shared everything that was relevant, but that may or may not be the case. Not being your lawyer, I'd have no way to know.

It might be worth a call to another lawyer just for a consultation. Be honest that you are already represenred and what has transpired. It might give you a better idea if the facts of your case just do not present as a claim for wrongful termination or if your lawyer has just not acted as diligently on your behalf.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

First off, if you claim is for wrongful termination it must be based upon some sort of discrimination, with the sole exception under Florida law being you had an employment contract. In the discrimination category, a charge claim must be filed with either the EEOC or FCHR, or both, within about 300 days of the incident. Once the charge claim is filed, there is little the attorney can do for the next 180 days without the agencies acting but wait out the agencies investigation. Did you file a charge claim?

In a wrongful termination suit (absent an employment contract) the litigation goes slowly untime the expiration of time. You can't blame the lawyer.

Secondly, no attorney can or will guarentee an outcome of a case even if they have all facts before them. And all attorneys look for an easy to score case, what's wrong with that?

FWIW, I can't tell you how many times the client has left out an important fact that has an effect on their case. Yes I can - its every time!

If you have to pay an hourly rate for an employment claim, the claim is probably not that strong IMO I have never met an employee who believes they were was not "wrongfully" terminated. A few are, but that is probably somewhere around 1-5%.

Good luck with your claim. I agree you should consult with another attorney to evaluate your claim, but don't expect any attorney to give a free consultation if you already have an attorney you are paying hourly.
          Nothing in this post is intended as legal advice. Any advice, citation or analysis contained herein is intended soley for discussion purposes only. If you have concerns regarding your rights under the law, you should consult an attorney.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X