This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss demanding kickbacks from employees Ohio

My boss routinely(5-6 times in 2008) solicits kickbacks from my incentive/bonus checks which I recieve quarterly. He asks for money, help with his bills, money for his motorcycle etc.
    The requests are specific and references are made to my current job, past promotions, etc. His relationships are not friendly with anyone in our workplace.

I'm sure my HR department would not approve, but do I have any legal recourse?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I take it you're being taxed on the full amount?

Is he asking for a loan or a "gift"? What happens if you say no? Have there been any overt threats to your employment status if you just refuse? How often does this happen and what, if anything, have employees done in the past?

Oh, and document all conversations.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 12-03-2008, 01:54 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Have you spoken with HR or anyone higher up the food chain?
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by nam1975 View Post
        My boss routinely(5-6 times in 2008) solicits kickbacks from my incentive/bonus checks which I recieve quarterly. He asks for money, help with his bills, money for his motorcycle etc.
        The requests are specific and references are made to my current job, past promotions, etc. His relationships are not friendly with anyone in our workplace.

Thanks in advance for your help.
        What your boss is doing is obviously grossly inappropriate and I can't imagine that senior management won't be appalled. You need to inform HR what's going on.

Comment

If I report this, should I request "whistleblower" protection, or is that understood.

Also, do I have any right to file suit vs the company if I choose to leave?

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

It isn't illegal so whistleblower laws don't apply, nor is it something you can file a suit over. It is just a poor management practice and I don't see how you expect it to stop unless you report it. The company can't fix what they do not know about.

Anyone can ask another person for a loan. There is no law that prevents this. When it is your boss however, and it is frequent, it becomes a management issue.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Regarding suing the company, does the company even know that this is happening? I suspect that if you never bothered to tell anyone, that you pretty much have handed the employer a very good defense should you decide to sue them.

If you can show that the company know about this and took no action to stop the supervisor from doing this, then your chances of actually winning a lawsuit arguably just improved.
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The OP never answered my original question, which was how was the "demand" presented? WAS it presented as a loan?
                I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

And, if nothing else I would assume if he didn't pay you back you could sue him in small claims court for the amount owed.

Comment

thread hijack.................

Lori, HI!!!!!!!!!!!!! (waving)

Comment

MWAH! It's good to be over here.

Comment

This was never asked as a "loan", ie "I'll pay you back, can you help me out and I'll pay you back."

I would call it just simply asking for money and doing so because I had a commission check coming.

I have not given him any $$ and would never do so.
                        I'm planning on alerting the company, just want to be prepared. I've taken notes regarding the specifics and will refer to those.

Thanks

Comment

So you have never given him any money... so there has been no negative effect to you?

Contact HR.
                          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by nam1975 View Post
                            Since you never actually gave him any money, you have no case or money to sue for. However, definitely report it to HR.
                            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X