This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORCED TO RESIGN! New Jersey

I resigned from my position five weeks ago. I have a phone interview with unemployment this Friday about why I resigned. I'd like some advice on what to say so I can successfully collect. Please read my story. Thank in advance.

For over six months the President of my previous company has been cursing me and several other employees out on a daily basis. He runs the company on intimidation.

He has even gone as far as punching a hole in a pallet of product while screaming at me. This is the environment in this company. The President goes around intimidating employees threatening them by yelling and cursing at them causing a hostile environment.

What he does falls under the harassment section of the company handbook. The problem is that he yells and curses out the HR manager as well. He says he's above the company policy. The HR manager is subject to the same abuse.

After he punched a hole in a pallet while cursing at me I told my boss the HR manager what the President had done. No response there!

I could no longer work in a hostile, threatening, and demeaning environment any more so I resigned!

After I resigned the President kept 11 accrued vacation and personal days along with a bonus. He told my direct reports that he's not filling the my old position until sometime next year. The company handbook states, it's at the employers discretion as to whether or not they pay out accrued days.

I'm out of work over a month now and I've been on a few interviews and I'm searching everyday for work. Please keep in mind that I have never collected unemployment in my life. I just just couldn't take the stress any longer of someone cursing me out everyday.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can say during my phone interview for unemployment? I appreciate your help.

Regards

Bruce

You tell the truth and show interviewer how you were "forced" to resign. After that its up to state
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

The President goes around intimidating employees threatening them by yelling and cursing at them causing a hostile environment. A hostile work environment has to do with a pervasive atmosphere of discrimination due to race, gender, etc. What you describe certainly is a terribly unpleasant work environment but it doesn't violate any laws.

After he punched a hole in a pallet while cursing at me I told my boss the HR manager what the President had done. No response there! Since the HR Manager gets the same treatment as everyone else, surely you didn't expect him/her to be able to do something about the President's behavior.

He says he's above the company policy. As long as the President doesn't violate any laws, he can do whatever he wants. Of course that comes at a cost. I can't imagine that employees stay working for this jerk one moment longer than they have to.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can say during my phone interview for unemployment? The truth. Describe exactly what you experienced and how often. Then it will be up to the State to determine whether the situation constituted "good cause" to quit and still receive UC benefits. Good luck.

Comment

Was punching the pallet the event that led to your resignation? Was this the first time he acted out physically? Were you in actual physical danger or was this just the latest example of this guy throwing a fit?

When it comes to UC, typically you have to show that there was a good reason you had to quit then. That staying on board until you found another job wasn't an option. If you just finally got fed up, your chances aren't as good, though it is certainly clear why you would want to leave.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Resigned

Let me paint a brief picture for you. The previous manager who was in my position was removed from a pool of his own blood because his head was split open with an adding machine. He was hit by one of the union drivers. This is a Teamsters union environment that hates the company and I would designate it as somewhat hostile and threatening. The only response from the President after the beating was to place emergency hold up switches in the office instead of providing employee training. This way the next time there's a fight we can just hit the button and wait for the police to arrive.

Of course I know he didn't violate any laws. He's just an HBO special waiting to happen. After he punched a hole in the pallet was when I really made my mind up to remove myself from the environment. I questioned whether or not the next swing would be for me, do I swing at him, or do I just leave!

Staying there until I found another job wasn't an option. I was getting anxiety attacks while at home just thinking about work and the stress was effecting my home life and family. I even went as far as seeing a doctor for the stress and his suggestion was to remove myself from the environment months ago. I didn't take his advice because I needed a job. I was making over 70k at this place. It takes a lot to walk away from that but I just couldn't take it anymore
          Bruce07002
          Last edited by Bruce07002; 12-01-2008, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Can't give you any further advice, but I can tell you, been there, done that.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I too have left a job because of the extreme stress there. However, there is a big difference between leaving a job because it is adviseable and leaving a job because you have no choice. Typically leaving because of medical reasons isn't considered attribuable to the employer so panic attacks and such generally aren't going to qualify you for benefits.

The fact that someone else was attacked at the business isn't necessarily going to mean you qualify for benefits. If I understand correctly, neither of these employees have had contact with you, and this was before you come on board. The company also did put a measure in place to prevent this in the future. While it may not have been the best solution, and woudln't have been the only means I used to deal with it, it was dealt with.

Sometimes the state does rule in favor of the employee in cases like this but it is far from a slam dunk. I'm not saying I agree with it, but states are very relucatant to award benefits when the employee intiates the separation. In cases where they do, there tends to be a specific event which severely alters the environment. An unpleasant and easily angered boss who continues to be unpleasant and easily angered isn't generally going to constitute a change in condition. I would mention the punching pallet incident. It tips the odds slightly to your favor but it is still going to be up to the state to decide whether or not that one incident was enough of a departure from the norm to justify benefits.
              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Resigned

I know I have a tough case here and I really need the UC benefits for my family until I land something. I tell ya, I used to work for Pfizer and an animal like this manager wouldn't last a day there the way he talks to people.

Do you think it would help if I obtained signed statements from current and past employees as to how employees are treated? I know I wouldn't have any problem compiling some proof. I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
                Bruce07002
                Last edited by Bruce07002; 12-02-2008, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Again, UC tends to be an individual matter, and what others experienced isn't going to matter much regarding why you came to be unemployed. UC is intended for those who lose their jobs through no fault of their own. In order to qualify, you would have to demonstrate that you had no choice but to resign when you did for reasons that were attributable to the employer. Things that happened before you were hired and a generally rotten atmosphere tend not to meet that standard. It is not the same as having a good reason to resign or that being preferable or even desireable.

The state tends to consider a job better than no job. If everything were grand at one's current employer, no one would ever leave. Most employees leave because of some sort of disatisfaction in the workplace. UC is for those who become unemployed through no fault oftheir own. In some cases, benefits may be awarded when an employee has no alternative but to resign, but the bar tends to be rather high or else benefits would be owed to everyone who was unhappy at their job and quit. You will need to show that the treatment you experenced was so eggregious that you had no alternative but to resign immediately and that looking around on the side and leaving when you secured something else wasn't an option.

Had the President actually hit you or made a credible threat to your safety, the odds of proving this increase. If he was just blowing up as he always does, then less so. It may also make a difference how often you personally interact with him and how often and how many times he has blown up at you. Again, what others experienced isn't really relevant here as the state only cares why you left your job and what you personally experienced. Leaving because of treatment to others isn't going to win you benefits.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X