Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contractor employee not being paid for federal holidays District of Columbia

I am a contractor working at the federal government. My company's contract with the government stipulates that contractors will be paid for the ten federal holidays (new years, xmas,mlk day,etc). The contract makes no mention of holidays that are occasionally made each year (i.e. when the president signs an executive order closing all federal agencies for December 24 and considering it a holiday.)
    My question is this: If the president signs an exec order closing the federal agencies for xmas eve, excusing federal employees from working, and my contract does not allow for me to be paid for a federal holiday beyond the ones that are listed in the contract, what can I do? Can I be forced to take unpaid leave? The govt won't let us telework that day. I would be ok if this were just one day we're talking about. But, this may also be true for the friday after new years, and inauguration day. I don't want to have to take three days of unpaid leave when it is of no fault of my own. THey are closing the building and won't allow telecommute. What else can I do??? DO I have any options? Can my contract company be forced to pay me anyway?

If you're asking if there's any law that would require the employer to pay you for those days when your work site is closed, if you are a non-exempt employee (meaning that you are not exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act) then the employer never has to pay you for days that you do not work. If you are an exempt employee, then you should be paid your salary for any week in which you work. In that case, however, the employer can require you to use any paid leave you have available to you (such as vacation) on those days.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

This will not change things for the better but I notice the phrases contractor and contract employee being used by the OP. Is this another way of saying an independent contractor who is not legally an employee? If so, then FLSA (labor law) is off the table, and we are looking at contract law only. As in the rules are whatever the contract says they are.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Unpaid holidays

Thanks. It just seemed unfair, but I guess that's the way it goes.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X