This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Labor Laws Ohio

I was scheduled to work 4:30am- 11am. My boss asked my could I pick up an employee for work. When I came to work I would punch in then I would pick up the employee for her. I didn't feel like it was right for me to loose my pay for doing them a favor. So can you be fired for that? I was confused because when they sent me to the bank they paid me. If they sent me to another store to pick up product they would pay me. I don't understand why I shouldn't get paid for picking up an employee of there's who is out of my way. I would have to pass work just to pick them up. Please tell me what you think?

This was not an illegal discharge. If you had reported to work, THEN you were required to go pick up another employee, that would have been work time for which you would legally have to be paid.

So did you refuse? Refusal to comply with a legal and safe work instruction can be considered (and I would) insubordination. You could have picked up the employee; then, if you were not paid for the time, you could have filed a claim for unpaid wages.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

No I did it because I knew that they would cut my hours. So I just clocked in as normal then went and picked up her. But to me that is a double standard. It is okay for me to clock in and go to the bank, or go to another store to pick up product? But it is not okay for me to clock in to pick up an employee for them. The didn't give me gas money or pay me for my miles on my car. When I moved I still had to pick up and I moved further away from the store and her. So I didn't see why I couldn't go to work as scheduled. I should miss time to pick her up and let that effect my pay? That's not right.

Comment

So, I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking if the employer had to right to require you do this? Yes. Are you asking if you should have been paid for your time under these circumstances? Probably yes. Are you asking if you had to be paid mileage for running this errand for the employer? No, there is no law that requires the employer do so in your state, even when you go to the bank or go to pick up supplies.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Patty~ I am thinking that the OP is saying that she was fired ore reprimanded for clocking in and then picking up the other employee.

Missy~ is this correct?
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We must first look at ourselves, before we look at others

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X