Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hourly Employees Restricted from working from home?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hourly Employees Restricted from working from home?

My HR department is telling everyone at my job that hourly employees are restricted from working from home because it is illegal in the state of Texas.

Is this true?

They are also telling our saleried employees that a 60-80 hour work week is typical for saleried employees in the US.

Is this also true?

There is no general governmentally imposed rule in TX or any other state prohibitted working at home. This however does not stop the employer from issuing their own rules to that effect. The employer does not have to allow employees to work at home.

"Salaried" is just a payment method that does not mean much by itself. It could mean Non-Exempt Salaried employee who must be paid overtime. It could mean Exempt Salaried employees who have no legal right to paid overtime. There are millions of employers in the U.S. and there is no "usual" amount of time that all salaried employees work. I have been Exempt Salaried most of my working life. I have had jobs where I worked at least 60-80 hours per week and jobs where I worked closer to 40 hours a week.

Not your question, but at some point, a bad employer is a bad employer. The correct solution is sometimes to change employers.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

My HR department is telling everyone at my job that hourly employees are restricted from working from home because it is illegal in the state of Texas.

No, it is not true. However, it is not an inherent right either. If your employer does not want hourly employees to work from home, then hourly employees do not work from home. It IS the law, not only in Texas but everywhere in the US, that the employer is responsible for keeping accurate records of non-exempt employees' hours worked, and that is not an easy thing to do with employees off site.

They are also telling our saleried employees that a 60-80 hour work week is typical for saleried employees in the US.

It's certainly not UNusual. I've had jobs where if I worked only 60 hours I'd think I was on vacation. It is more true for some jobs than for others, but it's certainly not untrue.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X