Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Last Pay check Texas

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Last Pay check Texas

    If an employee leave the company without notice and they owe the company for a pay advance. Can the company keep their last check. The employee quit just walked out one morning and owes the company on a pay advance for about 3000.00 and they were paying it back at 500.00 a pay. Can the company keep the entire check or can they only keep the 500.00 which they agreed on?

  • #2
    Is there any sort of written agreement that explains what happens if the employee leaves before the balance is paid? If not, the safest route is to deduct the $500 and then seek the rest of the money through other means. Small claims court if you must.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


    • #3
      last pay check

      The only thing the employee signed was a sheet saying that they will pay 500. per pay check nothing else. If the company keeps the entire check can the employee file a suit against the company
      Last edited by wondering1064; 10-29-2008, 01:57 PM.


      • #4
        Per my reference, the TWC will not allow the employer to deduct the balance of an advance from the final paycheck (as per the Texas Pay Day Law) without the employee's written authorization to do so.

        I would do as Elle suggested & just deduct the $500.00 & sue the employee in small claims court if you must for the balance.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

        Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.