This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Days off in exchange for overtime California

My new position requires some travel and it's usually over the weekend. After the last trip when I turned in my time sheet (I'm non exempt) and included overtime my boss has now asked me to take days off during the weeks that require work on the weekends. Is this legal? If I have to do this, technically the 8 hrs I would work each weekend day would equal 12 hrs so should I ask for 12 hrs off?

how many other employees are affected by this practice in the company?
    Walter

www.California-Labor-Law-Attorney.com
    "Wage and Hour Class Action Attorneys"

Disclaimer: The above correspondence does not constitute legal advice nor establish an attorney-client relationship. You should seek the advice of independent legal counsel before relying upon, acting upon or not acting upon any information contained in this correspondence.

Comment

I am including a pointer to CA overtime rules. There technically is no rule that working on the weekend by itself automatically requires overtime. There is also no rule that the employer cannot change schedules to avoid paid overtime. You might want to find out exactly when your employer's work week is however. Changing the schedule of time to be worked in following work weeks would not effect the calculation for the current workweek.
      http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Overtime.htm

Past that CA has more favorable (to employees) travel rules then the federal rules. You might want to download a copy of the CA-DLSE manual and get familar with the travel and expense reimbursement rules.
      http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/Manual-Instructions.htm
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I believe it's just myself that is affected by this. The only other person that travels is classified Exempt.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X