X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-worker Sleeping with Boss - Michigan

Hi,

I need help! I work for a large company that is currently going through massive layoffs. A female co-worker of mine that also reports to my boss decided to start sleeping with him, presumably to get favoritism in the upcoming layoff selections. While I would normally turn a blind eye and mind my own business, her actions may very well increase my probability of being let go. Even if I'm not let go, the boss's favoritism could cost me bonuses, raises, etc. I need to do something.

I have some evidence - this is not just watercooler gossip. I want to report the issue to HR. I would like to consult with a lawyer before taking any action - e.g. report anonymous or direct, what documentaton I should be doing, etc. My question -- What type of lawyer (specialization) should I be hiring? (wrongful termination? discrimination? hostile workplace?) Also, any suggestions on how to choose one from my local area?

thanks.

and reporting this will help you gain promotions or raises or even save your job?
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
      and reporting this will help you gain promotions or raises or even save your job?
      Well, that's exactly what I want to discuss with my lawyer. If I'm let go in the next round of layoffs, and she is not, then I have nothing to lose in reporting this directly to HR post-notification. I would also assume/hope in that scenario that I have some form of legal recourse - since the decision to retain or layoff was skewed by their actions which are in direct violation of our company policies. What I don't know is what I should be doing now to document, whether I should make an anonymous query to HR w/o mentioning names so that I have something to reference in the future if I were to be laid off (e.g. not just making this up after the fact), etc. In other words, what I should be doing now in prep for this to play out.

Then, even if I'm not laid off, I'm still at risk of unfair treatment going forward. e.g. I wonder who the boss is going to give the raise too? the bonus to? Not to mention that she's getting about 3x her allocated PTO right now, coming in late, leaving early, etc. In this particular situation, I could report it anonymously and I'd have plausible deniability - there are others in the office that are aware, some of whom have been involved with this same woman, etc. And I would hope that my company would terminate my boss and do whatever to the woman, and maintain my confidentiality.

I'm open to hearing people's experiences here that have been in a similar situation. Are you suggesting that instead of taking the high road - reporting it - that I take the low road? Use it against him/them?

I'm just very confused. I've worked for this company for a decade, been an A+ employee, and this is a very conservative company. I'm just having a hard time swallowing that my only real option is to swallow it and remain quiet... all because of their inappropriate actions which are negatively affecting me.

help.
      Last edited by Killjoy; 10-26-2008, 05:49 PM.

Comment

It is not unlawful to terminate you and not her regardless of time at job. HOwever have your discussion with an Attorney as that would be wise.

Comment

By the way unfair is not always illegal!

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
            By the way unfair is not always illegal!
            Panther - thanks. I realize unfair != illegal. It's just killing me (ethically, I guess) that she can do this (and him) and there's nothing I can do about it even tho I'm the one negatively effected. Do you have a recommended course of action?

I am going to speak to an attorney. Do you have a recommendation on what specialization I should be looking for? Just a general labor law attorney?

Comment

Labor Law or Civil Actions but I dont see a case.

Comment

Particularly since neither of you has been laid off yet.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X