This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fired day before unemployment would kick in Washington

Last week I was working at an Establishment and two days before I would have been eligible for unemployment I was fired. Now I am sure it is legal to do since its WA. I was accused of not remembering member names(Oddly enough 5 minutes before I was fired one of the Members told me that It was great I was there since I remember their names(The General manager was standing right behind me and would have heard the Member say this)

He also accused me of ringing in a Three dollar amount into the Credit Card machine yet I never used it and the only person who would use the Credit Card Machine was the General Manager since he would fiddle with it trying to get it to work(it was not yet Activated for employees to use). (The food and Beverage Manager told me that that was also his Assumption but he has since left since he did not like the GM nor the way the GM handled Affairs with people including himself and members at the Establishment).

I assume that Ethically it is wrong to fire someone just before potential unemployment benefits kick in(I liked the work and the job overall plus The members liked me) so I had no intenion of leaving.

Legally i would assume there is no Recourse in the matter though since Wa is an "At will State"
    Last edited by Actongue; 10-14-2008, 12:04 PM.

Where you are getting two days "before you would have qualified for unemployment"?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

My understanding is that unemployment benefits dont kick in till after 6 months of work
      cant recall where I read it though

Comment

Did you have employment prior to that? Prior employment counts too.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

it was not 6 months but this i found

http://www.esd.wa.gov/uibenefits/app...i-eligible.php
          You must have 680 hours of covered employment in your base year to meet the initial requirements to qualify for a claim.

I had just under 680 hours total were 650

My F&B manager told me he felt it was because I would be qualifying for Un Employment soon that the GM was letting me go so instead of keeping me he fired me on some semi questionable claims that are easy to show that they did not compute to what he said in the reasons for firing me.

Comment

Originally posted by cbg View Post
            Did you have employment prior to that? Prior employment counts too.
            Yea the Establishment closed down for awhile ( a year) I worked on a part time semi on call basis prior to the remodel
            for remodel but the GM asked me to come back because I was a good worker and the Members liked me.
            Last edited by Actongue; 10-14-2008, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Any of the part time work that took place during the base year will count, as will any work that took place during the base year for another employer.

Go ahead and apply. The worst that can happen is that the UI office says no, in which case you are no worse off than if you didn't apply at all. It costs nothing and there is no penalty for being wrong.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

the remodel went from October to May so was not quite a full year
                Thanks and true nothng ventured nothing gained}

the othe question is anothe place I work part time on call at Does not show the hours that we work on the pay stub all it shows is the total amount we have been paid since the beginning of the year

(The office claims since that they call us independant contractors they do not need to show hours worked for the month or the year to date.

Comment

If you are correctly classified as IC's, they would be correct, since the pay stub requirements apply to employees only.
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X