X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a supervisor say this? North Carolina

Hello,

I'm trying to find out if it's legal for a supervisor to tell you that you don't have any spelling or grammar skills and MAKE you go to school to improve these skills up to their standards? When I say "make" me go to school for this issue, he's telling me if I do not go to school for my spelling and grammar then I will lose my job.

I have been with this company for almost 6 years as a supervisor, and this person just joined the company 4 months ago as a director of my current department. This all occurred during my annual review today (09/26/08) which I still don't think he was qualified to do seeing as he's only been with the company since the beginning of June, and was not with the company to evaluate my performance for the beginning of the year.

I am a college graduate, and up until this point, I have had no issues with any other managers that have come and gone within the company. The previous managers have never discussed any sort of issues with me like this person has. Every week it's something different with him. I truly feel as though he was trying to belittle me, and just as well, we employ alot of people with various disabilities and this has me concerned for those employee's. I wouldn't want him to say something out of the way like this to them, but I have heard him say deroggatory things regarding some of the disabled employees. I don't have a recording and I was the only one that heard it, so I don't think there's anything I can do regarding that issue either.

Thank any/everyone for any information they can provide me with regarding this issue. I truly appreciate any help I can get.

Sincerely,
    ~Lost~

There is no law that says that an employer cannot say that your skills are lacking and cannot require you to improve them. There is no law that says you cannot be fired if you fail to meet your employer's expectations.

There are laws regarding whether you should be paid for time spent in mandatory training.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Marketeer View Post
      There is no law that says that an employer cannot say that your skills are lacking and cannot require you to improve them. There is no law that says you cannot be fired if you fail to meet your employer's expectations.

There are laws regarding whether you should be paid for time spent in mandatory training.
      Up to this point, I have had no complaints from other supervisors that were directly over me. They have all given me outstanding performance reviews. If this was an issue, wouldn't it have been brought up before 6 years has passed? It states in my job description what the requirements are for a supervisor in my department, so wouldn't that have been taken into account before I was promoted into this position? This is not the only thing this person has done that I have had issues with, but it's the only one I posted regarding this particular situation. I have been told through sources via HR and other managers that this person is directly targeting me because he wants to cut my salary out of his budget. I can not prove this because it's all through various conversations, but there has to be some way to prove what he is trying to accomplish. I think this is just another way for him to try to eliminate me from the company, and he feels since he can't get anything else on me, this will be the one.

Comment

Unless you have an employment contract guaranteering the terms and conditions of your employment, you are an at-will employee and the employer does not need to have any grounds to terminate your employment.

It's not at all unusual, nor is it illegal, for a new supervisor to come in and want to clean house, for whatever reason. It's not illegal for a new supervisor to change job descriptions or have different expectations of employees (absent, as I said above, an employment contract). Personally, if that's the case, I think the decent thing to do is to be upfront with the affected employees and not manufacture grounds on which to terminate, but my opinion isn't law.

What's happening to you falls under the category of "unfair but not illegal".
        I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X