This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time frame to file for Unemploment in Utah

I just received a claim form for a former employee to collect unemployment insurance benefits. This person quit voluntary on Oct. 5, 2007 to go to nursing school. My question is just how long is a person eligible to file a claim for benefits?

Showing you as the separating employer?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

yes. he's filing for benefits from me.

Comment

I'm not sure it will make a difference, as if he hasn't worked since he left your employ, he's not going to be deemed financially eligible anyway. I'd just return the form saying he quit to return to school.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I was just wondering how long a person can go before filing a claim. It would seem that 11.5 months later is a bit extreme. It was just a curiosity issue anyway as he quit to go back to school. We currently have employees now who go to school nights and work for us during the day!! So it was his choice to leave, not ours!

Comment

Originally posted by Oble View Post
            yes. he's filing for benefits from me.
            If I can pick a nit, a claim against your account is not necessarily the same thing as you being the separating employer. For example, Bob works for ABC for 5 years. Bob gets very drunk, and parks his car in the lobby. Bob is terminated. At this point if Bob files a UI claim, Bob is out of luck. However let's say Bob instead goes to work for XYZ for 10 months and is out of work when XYZ closes their doors. XYZ at this point is the separating employer, not ABC. Bob's claim for the XYZ termination will probably be approved and it will probably largely go against ABC's account. While not all states do this the same, the approval of the UI claim is generally a function of the quality of the termination from the last employer while the UI account charges tend to be a function of the employers from 6-18 months ago.

I am not saying that is what is happening to the OP, just that it is possible.
            "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
            Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

so, if he left my company by his choice, went to work for ZYX co. and they close the doors, I would still be responsible for unemployement benefits up to 18 months after he left my employ?

Comment

Probably. Your state is not my state, so there is a chance Utah has different rules. I would not assume that all 50 states agree on much of anything. But for states I have had to work with this one, this is something that happens. Often.
                "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Well, Utah just went to the 4 day work week for government employees, so I could not ask them on Friday, but you all have been a big help. I'll call them on Monday and post their answer.

that's just baffling to me that I might still have to pay unemployment to someone who left my company by his choice!

Comment

You can always protest the charges.

Comment

Ok, just got a call back from the Utah Department of Labor. She said the reason I was issued a form, is because they look back at an employees work history for 18 months to determine a weekly benefit amount average. Since he left on his own choice, we would not be held liable for benefits, or if he was fired with proper cause, we would not either. If he was downsized, we may still be liable for benefits!!

That cleared up a lot for me. I thank you all for your help and advice!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X