X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaks and Lunch Hour

My sister works for (deleted) in Bay St. Louis, MS. She is having a
    hard time getting ANYONE to relieve her even to go to the restroom.
    Also,getting a replacement for a 30 min. lunch break is a hassle. Payroll
    deducts 30 min. from her paycheck even if she does NOT get a lunch break.
    I have searched the web and can't find any labor laws for the state of Mississippi. Can you direct me to the right place? Thanks so much.
    Last edited by cbg; 09-15-2008, 03:28 PM.

If she does not get at least a 20 minute break, she must be paid for that lunch time. The employer is wrong (federal law, which, in this case, pre-empts whatever MS has).
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Just to clarify, neither Federal nor Mississippi law requires that she receive any breaks at all. Federal law says that IF breaks are offered, a break of under 20 minutes must be paid. Neither Federal law nor the law of any state allows the employer to deduct time for a break that was not taken; however, if they want her to take a break and she does not (even if it's because she cannot find anyone to relieve her) she can be disciplined up to and including termination.

In most cases I'd advise her to go to the state DOL about the breaks she did not take and was not paid for, but since MS labor laws are so weak I'm going to suggest that she look into small claims court instead.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X