Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Ohio - Must an employer pay min 4 hours for a shift?

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ohio - Must an employer pay min 4 hours for a shift?

    If an employee shows up for work (a scheduled 8 hour shift) but then the business decides not to open for the day due to electrical trouble, must the employees who are sent home be paid for a minimum of 4 hours? Can they be sent home without any compensation for the day?

    My boss said they don't pay for hours missed if the business closes, but I thought they had to pay you for a minimum of 4 hours if you reported to work. She said she would pay me only if I could find a written law somewhere and bring it in to her.

    Can anyone help? My google searches aren't getting me anywhere.

  • #2
    Sorry, but your state has no reporting pay requirements. They are not required to pay you for any time you do not work, even if you were scheduled to work and are sent home.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      There are only a few states (California, Massachusetts) that have such laws. Ohio is not one of the few.

      In my company, if you show up, work any amount of time and are sent home, you get four hours pay or the time worked, whichever is greater. If you show up and are sent home immediately (no work), you get two hours pay. This is company policy and not state or federal law.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.