This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois break laws

I am a hotel employee in Illinois, and I work at the front desk. I've been employeed at this location for about three years, and until this week, we've never had a scheduled break time, we just take our lunch when and if we have the time to. We didn't clock out for them, because at any moment we may have to return to the desk. Now, they are telling us we have to clock out for lunch (which i have no problem with, since i won't have to come and assist the desk while not on the clock), but this only applies if there are two employees on shift. If there is only one, we are to (and i quote) "If you're the only one on your shift, you do not leave the desk area for anything, except to take care of a guest of use the restroom."
    I'm curious as to what the law's in my state are for breaks, and lunch. All shifts are 8 hours, and if we don't have two employees, we don't get any breaks. Even if there are two, if its busy, you don't get a break. Thanks.

Illinois does require meal periods per the link here:
    http://www.state.il.us/agency/idol/faq/qaodrisa.htm

If you don't get at least 20 minutes of uninterrupted meal time, the entire 20 minutes is compensable. If you are deducted for a meal period when you don't get the full 20 minutes, you can file a claim with the state Dept. of Labor.

Illinois does not require rest breaks for adult employees except, in certain jurisdictions, for hotel room attendants only.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

thank you, this should help a ton

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X