This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exempt Level Mgr taking too much time off Florida

My exempt level managers get 120 hours of PTO per year (if they worked for under 5 years). I have a manger who has taken 112 hours of PTO so far. His next anniversary is in June and he will not get anymore until then. He got approved to take 2 weeks off in FEB. So his PTO will be -72 hours.

My manger asked me if he worked mon-wed and then took off thurs, fri and monday do we have to pay him for those 3 days. I said yes. You have to pay an exempt employee for the entire week if they worked any time that week. She they said even if the are "relaxing with family" and I still said yes and now she does not believe me.

Please tell me I am right. If an exempt employee works any part of the week they get paid for that week. If they do not work at all that week, they can either use PTO or if they do not have any PTO we still have to pay them because they are exempt. Then it would become a management issue with regard to letting that employee have time off.

Thanks!!!!

Days not Weeks

The general rule is that you pay salaried employees by the day, not the week. If the employee worked Mon thru Wed and took Thru and Fri off, you only pay for the three days worked. The two off days would go against the PTO or would be unpaid if the employee had used up their PTO.

Sounds like the employee in question will be taking his time off for his anniversary as unpaid. That is unless the company wants to advance him PTO time from next year's allotment (which I would not recommend).

Dave

Comment

I thought you had to pay full salary to exempt salary employees regardless of hours worked. So even if they only work 5 hours their paycheck should still be 40 hours.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Comment

You are wrong.
        http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...CFR541.602.htm
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the link!!

That helps!!!

Stef

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X