This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If work closes do they have to pay? Texas

In Texas with the hurricane this weekend, if my job closes and I am on the schedule do they have to pay me for my shift as a hourly employee?
    Also what is the law on your employer telling you not to come in on a scheduled shift. Is there a time fram and should he/she have to pay you for certain hours?

For non-exempt employees, no law requires an employee to be paid for time they did not work, (with rare exceptions but would not apply here) even though the business was closed because of a hurricane. You only have to be paid if you work. The employer can/may decide to pay you but they don't have to. Some employers might allow or even require that any PTO be used for this day.

There is no required notice period to inform you not to come in to work - you can be notified right before you leave home. Since you were notified not to come in to work, you do not have to be paid since you will be doing no work.

For exempt employees, they cannot be docked for time that the employer is closed (as long as the business is not closed for a full week.) The employer may require that they use any available PTO for the day though. There are only certain circumstances when they can have their pay docked but not for a hurricane when the busi. closes.
    Last edited by Betty3; 09-10-2008, 11:27 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

And, since you are nonexempt, even if they don't notify you ahead of time and you show up to work and are immediately sent home, neither federal nor Texas law requires that you be paid for showing up. Very few states have "reporting pay" requirements and Texas is not one of them.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X