This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in workplace: mold/mildew Pennsylvania

I work at a small business located in the basement of my boss' home. The basement is a "finished" basement complete with drywall and wall-to-wall carpeting.

The problem is that there are frequent leaks whenever it rains. The water seeps in from the walls and drenches the carpets. Our boss is very cheap and doesn't care to fix it. He does nothing. I on the other hand take steps to place a de-humidifier in the rooms to try to dry out the soaked carpets. It's not ideal, but it's all I can really do. I'd rather the carpets get ripped out and the foundation repaired...

Needless to say, this has happened numerous times over the past year and the boss has zero interest in repairing the foundation and/or removing the carpets. The air quality is quite bad and stinks. The boss just pops in from time to time, so he doesn't notice as much nor does he have to deal with it.

My question is are there any laws requiring a place of business to be safe and healthy? Are there any steps I could take towards reporting/enforcing this?

The obvious solution is to quit my job, but I'd rather not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My question is are there any laws requiring a place of business to be safe and healthy?
    This would fall under the OSHA general duty clause which is here;

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...HACT&p_id=3359

There are no OSHA regualtions that deal specifically with mold but there is an extensive bulletin about it here;

http://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib101003.html

I would caution that just because the air smells off doesn't necessarily mean that it is unhealthy.

The first question is can you physically see mold ?
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

You might want to check with your Board of Health. But, as said before, be very cautious. Don't identify your work place right away. Especially if you want to keep your job.

Comment

Originally posted by Eng&SafetyMGR View Post

I would caution that just because the air smells off doesn't necessarily mean that it is unhealthy.

The first question is can you physically see mold ?

I do not see the mold, but I would expect that it exists under the carpeting and behind the walls. Unfortunately, I can't rip up the boss' carpets and walls to check.

And thank you both for the responses. The frustrating thing is that there does not seem to be any way for me to take action to fix this situation. From what I could tell, most laws seem to deal with things like asbestos in schools or vermin in restaurants. There does not seem to be anything one can do for a private place of business that does not handle food. (if the owner has no desire to remedy the situation)

At this point, my only hope is that the situation progresses to a degree where the structure fails and the building falls apart. Fortunately, there will be more rain this weekend.

Oh, and I notice that by the end of the day, I usually can hear a wheeze when I exhale and I will feel somewhat hot. It's not just that the smell is unpleasant.

Comment

Oh, and I notice that by the end of the day, I usually can hear a wheeze when I exhale and I will feel somewhat hot. It's not just that the smell is unpleasant.
          This part you should have checked out by a Doctor. Tell him the situation and be honest , don't exaggerate anything but then if there is any evidence that this enviornment is affecting your health you will have a lot more leverage to get things fixed.
          "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X