Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Salary being docked - Florida

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Salary being docked - Florida

    I am a salaried accountant and work for an accounting firm in Florida, I was notified via e-mail that I will be docked one days compensation for each day it takes to complete a file that was not closed out. I have been working on this task for 5 days and still have a few more days left. I asked to not be docked since I am being the scapegoat but was told they have to to teach a lesson and to make it easier on me they will spread the deduction from my pay over a few paychecks, deduct it all at once, or I can use my vacation/personal time for the days so I will still get a paycheck. There is no company policy on this, is this legal?

  • #2
    They can deduct your leave, but not your pay. Sounds like a horrible method of management, but being a good motivator isn't illegal. Docking pay for time actually worked is.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


    • #3
      Just want to confirm that when you say salaried, you mean exempt?

      Salaried is only a pay method and has no legal status of its own.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.