This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for list of medications..West Virginia

Besides during the initial employment physical and during a investigation, does an employer have the right to ask for a list of what medications you take either daily or periodically??
    Seems to me this would be a HIPPA violation!
    I would appreciate any help on this.

If your being under certain medications can cause you or other harms (like working machinery) then yes its legal
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

It is NOT a HIPAA violation. This Act does not apply to information provided directly by the employee to the employer.

Why is the employer asking?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Employer has no reason. No investigation...no nothing. They just want this information for their records

Comment

What is the job and its duties? Is there a pre employment drug screen?
          http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Emergency Medical Services
            Yes, all employees are pre-screened

Comment

So what happens if the applicant/employee refuses?
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Noone challenged it as of yet. Employer stated it was mandatory. This is something new they came up with along with a couple other things. This all happened after an employeehad a sexual harassment case and won.

Comment

It's possible they want this info in the event of an emergency. Depending upon what it is you do exactly, this may or may not make sense. No law outright forbids them from asking. There are restrictions on what can be done with that information.
                  I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

per a HR pamphlet- Can an employer ask about lawful drug use?

No. Most questions such as “What medications are you currently taking?” or “Have you ever taken AZT?” would elicit information about disability & you might find yourself in a lawsuit.

Actually, there is no law against it - it's just that you might not want to due to the reason above. However, I can see it being asked for a legitimate reason - such as panther noted re working around machinery for example. (certain occupations)
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thak you all for your responses.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X