Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Identity problems in Arizona

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Identity problems in Arizona

    Hello, i'm assuming this is the proper place for this, if not, i'd appreciate the moderators moving.

    That said, i'm posting on behalf of my room mate who has a bit of a problem. At 40 years old, its not all that surprising that he lost his birth certificate over the years. The problem is that he moved here from New Mexico, and Arizona doesn't accept New Mexico ID/Driver's License as proof of ID because they don't verify one's immigration status. Because of this, he can't get a local ID as required by many employers obviously, but the problem becomes bigger. His mom seems to be unsure of his name at birth, i suspect he was born out of wedlock. Searching for his current name and the two his mom thinks he was born under in Los Angeles County California come up blank for his date of birth and the weeks around it.

    So, at this point, what does one do? He's a non-entity as far as the state of Arizona is concerned, and getting a birth certificate appears to be impossible, so now what?
    Joe Harrison
    Aloha Courier Assassin

  • #2
    ANY state license is acceptable for the I-9, if that's what you're talking about. All a document from List C does is verify that the person is who they say they are. List B documents verify that the employee is eligible to work in the U.S. His SS card will do that (he can request a reissued card if he's lost that).

    Or, are you talking for some other purpose?
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Many employers here require a local ID, something to prove that you really live here and won't run off. Plus for voting you need a DL/ID card to prove that you really live here, so on and so forth. Obviously he needs to be able to get a local ID, but since he can't prove he's him... Ok, what to do... I wonder how much a fake birth certificate costs, it might be the only way to get him real ID.
      Joe Harrison
      Aloha Courier Assassin

      Comment


      • #4
        The employers that do are not in compliance with the law. The law does not state that the Proof of Identity document be "local". Nor does the law allow the employer to require a specific document; just that the document be on the list and that it appears "valid on its face".

        Was he adopted? I'm not seeing how a biological mother could forget the city or county where her child was born.

        Let's see, buy a birth certificate so he can have "real" ID. Why does the logic of that escape me?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

        Comment


        • #5
          If the employers are requiring a local ID for I-9 purposes that is illegal. If they are requiring it for other purposes, that is not.

          Personally I find it far fetched that neither he nor his mother knows where, when or under what name he was born. Ordinarily I'd suggest contacting the hospital where he was born as they are the ones to usually file the paperwork and they would have record of the birth but if mom can't even remember the county......

          As for the license which he will need eventually, I'd suggest contacting the MVA in AZ and asking them what he should do.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

          Comment


          • #6
            Does he had a Social Security number? Truthfully, if this individual came to my company and could not provide, at least, the documentation required for an I - 9 form. I would not hire him.

            Comment


            • #7
              A 40 year old man that can not provide documentation for I-9 purpoeses, and not know how to get his documents in order is not someone I would hire.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                The employers that do are not in compliance with the law. The law does not state that the Proof of Identity document be "local". Nor does the law allow the employer to require a specific document; just that the document be on the list and that it appears "valid on its face".

                Was he adopted? I'm not seeing how a biological mother could forget the city or county where her child was born.

                Let's see, buy a birth certificate so he can have "real" ID. Why does the logic of that escape me?
                Laughs, "That last bit was meant tongue in cheek, i'm one who can usually figure out a solution to any problem he faces, but i'm flummoxed this time, so i couldn't resist pointing out what amounts to a last shot. I don't get the problems with his mom, but you do have to remember that not everyone ages well, so while hard to believe, not impossible. As to the ID issue, its actually to a degree state law, employers are required to prove that a person is legally allowed to work in this country before hiring them. since NM doesn't verify this in issuing ID, AZ won't accept it. It should be valid on his I9, but its not under state law, so he can't get hired."
                Joe Harrison
                Aloha Courier Assassin

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ElleMD View Post
                  If the employers are requiring a local ID for I-9 purposes that is illegal. If they are requiring it for other purposes, that is not.

                  Personally I find it far fetched that neither he nor his mother knows where, when or under what name he was born. Ordinarily I'd suggest contacting the hospital where he was born as they are the ones to usually file the paperwork and they would have record of the birth but if mom can't even remember the county......

                  As for the license which he will need eventually, I'd suggest contacting the MVA in AZ and asking them what he should do.
                  No, the fundamental ID level has to do with a state law that's not likely to be Constitutional, but as is standard, until challenged, it is the law.

                  She's certain of the county, but checking their records, assuming what we've found online is complete, hasn't turned anything up, but since such a search requires name, county, state and DOB to be accurate, an error in any of those obviously causes a problem. Honestly i think our best bet would be to get a list of everyone born that day in that county that hasn't been reported as dead, and see ifn we can figure out the name issue, but aside from driving out to LA, i don't see that happening.

                  Oh we've already asked the MVD, and their solution was simple, get your birth certificate, and CA certified copies aren't acceptable, it must be a real one.
                  Joe Harrison
                  Aloha Courier Assassin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by aswas71788 View Post
                    Does he had a Social Security number? Truthfully, if this individual came to my company and could not provide, at least, the documentation required for an I - 9 form. I would not hire him.
                    Yep, he has all the I9 documents necessary, problem is the state law.
                    Joe Harrison
                    Aloha Courier Assassin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by angel_28 View Post
                      A 40 year old man that can not provide documentation for I-9 purpoeses, and not know how to get his documents in order is not someone I would hire.
                      Nope, I9 is covered, the problem is the far more restrictive state law that makes it extremely difficult to prove ID. In my case i was lucky enough to be born in the northeast, AZ law makes many basic documents unacceptable, specifically DL/ID's from HI, NM, TX, UT, IL, WA (except enhanced) and CA Certified abstract of birth. This is a very unfriendly state, basically to have rights here, its starting to become a matter of proving you're an actual citizen, or in other words... papers comrade.
                      Joe Harrison
                      Aloha Courier Assassin

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well, I can't think of anything else then except a private investigator.
                        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Surprised MD isn't on that list as you don't have to be a citizen to get a DL here. There are actually only 4 states right now that allow that but off the top, I can't recall all of them.

                          http://mvd.azdot.gov/mvd/formsandpub...rmInfoKey=1410 is the list of all the documents that can be used to apply for an AZ license. A BC is hardly the only one.
                          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

                          Comment

                          The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                          Working...
                          X