This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required to work on Labor Day? Colorado

I just moved to Colorado from Minnesota and opened a canvass office, so I am unfamiliar with Colorado State Laws. Are my employees required to work on Labor Day?

Originally posted by LoveMyEmployees View Post
    I just moved to Colorado from Minnesota and opened a canvass office, so I am unfamiliar with Colorado State Laws. Are my employees required to work on Labor Day?
    If you wish them to, yes.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Agreed. With very few legal exceptions, most employers can make most employees work whatever hours the employer wants.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

If you are asking whether or not there are any particular holidays which you MUST give your employees off, no, there are not.

Federal holidays apply only to federal employees. State holidays apply only to state employees. Private employers are not required to give any holidays at all, nor, in most states, to provide any premium for working on a holiday. (Some limited exceptions to that last in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and possibly Connecticut.)

Most employers do and it is a nice thing to do if you can afford it. But it is not required by law.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I will say that, as an employer, asking on Saturday if you can take away a holiday that is on Monday will absolutely destroy employee morale.

Are you going to call people over the weekend and tell them to come in on Monday?
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X