This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mandatory meeting called by district manager North Carolina

district manager has called a mandatory meeting for all store employees at 830 pm monday sep 1 (labor day) without pay
    this is in North Carolina

need specific reference for complaint to HR within company

The holiday is irrelevant. Non-exempt employees need to be paid for the time spent at this meeting.
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

what you say may be true and probably is gospel

however will need reference for HR

makes the complaint heavier

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Ti...9CFR785.27.htm

Note that all four must be met for the time to be noncompensable. If any ONE is not, that makes the time hours worked for which the nonexempt employees must be paid.

ElleMD is right about the holiday being irrelevant for pay purposes, but relative to management skills, what is this person thinking?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

cut and paste from another thread, thanks DAW

The "law" on this issue are the following two federal DOL regulations.

29 CFR 785.27 - General.
          Attendance at lectures, meetings, training programs and similar activities need not be counted as working time if the following four criteria are met:
          (a) Attendance is outside of the employee's regular working hours;
          (b) Attendance is in fact voluntary;
          (c) The course, lecture, or meeting is not directly related to the employee's job; and
          (d) The employee does not perform any productive work during such attendance.

29 CFR 785.28 - Involuntary attendance.
          Attendance is not voluntary, of course, if it is required by the employer. It is not voluntary in fact if the employee is given to understand or led to believe that his present working conditions or the continuance of his employment would be adversely affected by nonattendance.
          "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

That was me saying it was irrelevant, however , yes I agree it is absolutely stupid for DM to pull this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Eng&SafetyMGR View Post
              cut and paste from another thread, thanks DAW

29 CFR 785.27 - General.
              Attendance at lectures, meetings, training programs and similar activities need not be counted as working time if the following four criteria are met:
              (a) Attendance is outside of the employee's regular working hours;
              (b) Attendance is in fact voluntary;
              (c) The course, lecture, or meeting is not directly related to the employee's job; and
              (d) The employee does not perform any productive work during such attendance.
              Um, that's what the link I provided links to.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Which I saw after I posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
                  [url]

ElleMD is right about the holiday being irrelevant for pay purposes, but relative to management skills, what is this person thinking?
                  I am? Love how I'm right even when I'm silent
                  I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X