This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobra Notification California

My insurance company never sent me the cobra election paperwork despite me requesting it. After a few more phone calls, they said it was taken care of, and to expect a bill for coverage, but that never came.

Yesterday, I got a bill for the full price for a prescription that was covered under the plan.

It seems that I am no longer covered. Any advise on how to correct this?

I had a similar problem last year with the same company that eventually got worked out. (It's seasonal tax work)

Unless there's something odd in California laws, your employer (or their administrator) should be the one sending COBRA information. I've never heard of it coming from the insurance company.

Just to be certain, this is the Federal COBRA and not the state continuation for small groups, right? It makes a difference where you report it.

BTW, even in CA, it is legal to cancel coverage until your first COBRA payment is made, at which time coverage is reinstated retroactively to the cancellation date.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thanks CBG.

It's a national company, so I'm thinking it would be under the federal rules. I don't know anything about CA specific cobra. I'd like to resolve with the company before taking it to the gov. I just don't the law well enough base a position off of.

I think it's a third part administrator.

Would it be possible to have the coverage reinstated on a go forward basis? Would that effect protability/preexisting conditions/and what not? I only needed it once during the period in question, and the full price was alot less then the premiums would be.

Comment

It cannot be reinstated with a gap. It can certainly be reinstated retroactively to the cancellation date, and canceled effective when you no longer need it.

Do you have any idea the date of cancellation? That would help.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

May 1. We were released from service on Apr 17, and they let us continue the normal coverage for the rest of April.

Comment

California labor law attorney

Why not contact the insurance company directly for status?
            Walter

www.California-Labor-Law-Attorney.com
            "Wage and Hour Class Action Attorneys"

Disclaimer: The above correspondence does not constitute legal advice nor establish an attorney-client relationship. You should seek the advice of independent legal counsel before relying upon, acting upon or not acting upon any information contained in this correspondence.

Comment

I already know they don't consider me covered.

They sent me a bill for a prescription that would have been covered.

Comment

Do you know who the third party administrator is?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X