This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unemployment to take car of child North Carolina

Does anyone know about getting unemployment to be able to take care of a child whose has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I have exhaysted all my vacation time. My child's A1C is 10.8 and since I work full time it has been difficult to get that lower. The target is 7. Even if i am able to get it temporarily to try and stabilize his BS. Anything right now will help so I can focus on the health of my child without worrying how I'm going to pay all my bills.

I'm sorry but unemployment ins. is for persons who are *unemployed* through no fault of their own (but are available for work and are actively seeking paying jobs).
    Last edited by Betty3; 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM. Reason: meant to say unemployment ins. -not employment ins.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I'm not sure how being off work stablizes your child's BS but no, you can't get unemployment in order to take care of a child.

If you otherwise qualify, and the doctor certifies that you are for some reason needed to care for the child, you can take FMLA which is unpaid leave from your employer for a maximum of 12 weeks. It may be unapid but at least it maintains your benefits and job while you are off.
      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X