X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory overtime? Georgia

Is this right?
    I work in an office for a city government hours Mon- Fri 8 to 5. My partner and I have just been told we have to work Mon- Sun 8-5. Mandatory overtime. We will have no days off, and we can not ask for days off for 30 days. We feel like we are being forced out. Is there a law concerning this?

Yes, in Ga. & for your type of job, you can be required to work the # of hrs./days in a row your employer tells you to unless you have a binding contract/agreement stating otherwise.

There are only exceptions for certain occupations (ie airline pilot, long haul trucker) & some states have a one day off in seven rule (even then there can be exceptions) but Ga. is not one of them.

It may not seem right or fair but it is not illegal.
    Last edited by Betty3; 08-11-2008, 04:21 PM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I agree, provided that you are not being "forced out" due to some discriminatory or illegal reason in violation of an applicable federal law. If, for example, you were the only ones forced to work mandatory overtime for 30 days under threat of termination, and this was done in retaliation for your having recently made a complaint of illegal discrimination/failure to pay overtime/etc. in violation of federal law, then it might be illegal retaliation. I can't tell from your post why you believe you're being "forced out," but just wanted to raise the issue for your consideration.
      C. Andrew Head, Attorney, Crowley Clarida & Head LLP http://overtimeattorneygeorgia.com/. Licensed to practice in Georgia. The foregoing does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as establishing or attempting to establish any attorney-client relationship.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X