X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAW
    replied
    Agreed. And if this is a minimum wage job, why not just change jobs?

If these expenses take you below minimum wage you can file a wage claim with federal DOL. Use the phrase "failure to pay minimum wage free and clear". Past that, there is a good chance that a small claims court action might work even without help from Ohio law. Small claim court judges sometimes make "equity" decisions not too tightly based on the law.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    Ohio law is pretty sparse (as in, basically, nonexistent that I could find) regarding deductions from pay. However, federal law prohibits such deductions (and arguably, payment out of pocket) if they would take the employees below minimum wage.

Personally, this is an issue I would fall on my sword over. Why in the world would an employer expect an employee to pay for business expenses without reimbursement (which Ohio law doesn't prohibit, though)? But that's just me.

Leave a comment:

• TarynS
    started a topic Taking money from paycheck - Ohio

Taking money from paycheck - Ohio

I work part-time with a company that provides entertainment for children's parties, and my boss has decided to purchase some supplies for the parties that she wants us to use, some are reusable and others are things were going to have to replenish. The supplies are going to cost around 100 dollars and my boss wants us to pay for them, if we don't she plans to take the money from our paychecks.

I was wondering if under Ohio Labor Laws employers are able to take these kind of business expenses from employees pay checks?

Thanks in advance for you help!
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X