This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Arizona really have any labor laws? Arizona

I have been reading through your forums and have come to a conclusion that Arizona really doesnt have any labor laws for the employee but has laws which let the employer to just terminate you and or just get rid of you. The reason Im looking is that I work for a company that always states in bulletins and even when they talk to you verbally that if you dont do what they want they can fire you. If you dont change your job title they can fire you. If you dont suggestive sell they can fire you. They have told a certain group of workers that they have to change thier job duties though when they were hired on that thier job duties were a certain thing. BUt I have noticed in the job description that thier is a new paragraph which states that your job description can change at anytime. These guys dont want to do the more hazardous job which requires them to work with fuel like gasoline and diesel. It requires more outside work in 100 plus temperatures too. But as I concluded its tough for the mployee and thier is nothing they can do other than be fired or quit. Its to bad they can threaten you with your job and get away with it. It happens comany wides and they employ 1000's. Is there anything can do at all or is it just tough luck? Just an add they expect you to change electrical breakers and outlets even though the lady from OSHA said we shouldnt be doing this?

They have more than some states, less than others. Every state except Montana (and even sometimes there) is an "at will" employment state, which means the employer can discharge an employee at any time for any reason which does not violate a specific law or public policy and, conversely, the employee can quit at any time for any reason.

Short of an employment contract or CBA, the employer can change job duties of an employee at any time. A "job description" is not a contract. The employer specifies how the job is done, not the employee. Again, this is true in all states.

The only issue I see in your post is a possible OSHA violation.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Bo basically if you have been hired to a job in which you like and the company changes it to a job you dont like then thats tough luck?
      These people didnt get this job because they like gasoline products. Now they have to work with these products they didnt sign up for? Too bad for them huh?

Originally posted by joec
      Arizona unlike most right to work states have some pretty good employment laws. A.R.S Tittle 23 embodies the bulk of them.

A.R.S 23-1501 offers a retaliatory discharges statute. A.R.S 23-1502 offers a Constructive discharge statute. The revised statute also has triple damage awards for unpaid wages,and overtime. So the at-will presumption is watered down quite a bit by statute.
      JoeC

Comment

Originally posted by Magneto701 View Post
        Bo basically if you have been hired to a job in which you like and the company changes it to a job you dont like then thats tough luck?
        These people didnt get this job because they like gasoline products. Now they have to work with these products they didnt sign up for? Too bad for them huh?
        Legally, yes. If the company is breaking an actual law in it's handling of gasoline products, then report them. But if we are talking about the company giving it's employees a legal order to handle legal products, then no laws have been broken. I have left companies in the past because either the nature of my job changed, or the nature of the company changes. Sometimes [bleep] happens. We deal with as best we can. Sometimes that means changing employers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X