This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding 15 minute breaks in MA Massachusetts

My wife works in a data entry department in Massachusetts. Her supervisor told everyone that they are no longer allowed to take their 15 minute paid breaks at their desks due to Mass labor laws.

She's not sure if this is a actual law or not. She also doesn't want to have to go across the building to the break room just for 15 minutes. She usually just reads at her desk, then starts working again when her break is over.

If anyone is familiar with these laws, I would appreciate some clarity. Thanks.

Originally posted by Sauce View Post
    My wife works in a data entry department in Massachusetts. Her supervisor told everyone that they are no longer allowed to take their 15 minute paid breaks at their desks due to Mass labor laws.

She's not sure if this is a actual law or not. She also doesn't want to have to go across the building to the break room just for 15 minutes. She usually just reads at her desk, then starts working again when her break is over.

If anyone is familiar with these laws, I would appreciate some clarity. Thanks.
    The law doesn't address where the employee must be. The employer is allowed to tell the employee that they may not take their break at their desk.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

There is no law that gives paid breaks in MA. MA law is 30 minutes unpaid for 6 or more hours of work.

Comment

There is no law in MA (or any other state) that dictates where an employee may or may not take their break.

However, that does not prohibit the employer from making such a regulation. If your wife's boss says she cannot take her break sitting at her desk, then she may not take her break sitting at her desk. Period.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Originally posted by HRinMA View Post
          There is no law that gives paid breaks in MA. MA law is 30 minutes unpaid for 6 or more hours of work.
          Employers must provide a 30-min. meal break to all employees within six hours of beginning work. Meal breaks can be unpaid.

Ma. does not require rest or coffee breaks, though as a practical matter, many employers do provide a 10-15 min. break. Under the U.S. Dept. of Labor regs. breaks shorter than 20 minutes must be counted as "hours worked" and must be paid.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Away from desk

Some employers require that breaks be away from work area so that there is no question that employee was not working during that period, for WH purposes. Don't want that time counting to satisfying the 40 hour requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by CTDad View Post
              Some employers require that breaks be away from work area so that there is no question that employee was not working during that period, for WH purposes. Don't want that time counting to satisfying the 40 hour requirement.
              Of course, rest breaks ARE work time for purposes of overtime. Your reasoning doesn't apply in this situation.
              I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X