X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Laws on 4 day work week at 10 hours a day

work in california.

I have worked 4 days a week for 10 hours a day. I have done this for almost two years. I just got a new boss and he does not like this. What is the law on this? In oregon once established a set hour then an employer can not change it. Is the the california law?

It's not illegal in California and it's not illegal in Oregon (or any state for that matter) to change the work schedule (unless an employment contract or CBA prohibits it). Just because a particular schedule has been in effect for X period of time doesn't mean the employer has to maintain that schedule in perpetuity.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

4 day work weeks at 10 hours a day

so in another words. he can tell me that I have to start working 5 days a week at 8 hours just because he wants to. I had an agreement with HR and my old boss when I started this job. It was a Verbal agreement.

Comment

That agreement isnt going to hold water sorry. Unless this agreement was part of a contract (mentioned previously) the new Boss is not bound by it.
        http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Um, hate to mention it, but this is CA, where 4 10's vs. 5 8's have to be voted on by the employees, if I am not mistaken.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Ok but if true does that work in reverse as well? OP is talking about going "from" a 4/10 "to" a 5/8
            http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

It works in both directions, if I'm not mistaken. Any change in schedule has to be voted on by the employees.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Just to be clear, in CA the changes to/from 4/10s only need to be voted on if the employer is legally trying to get around daily overtime with an Alternate Work Schedule. As long as the employer is willing to pay the daily overtime, the employer can legally set almost any schedule they want in CA without the employees agreeing to it.
                "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
                Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by DAW View Post
                  Just to be clear, in CA the changes to/from 4/10s only need to be voted on if the employer is legally trying to get around daily overtime with an Alternate Work Schedule. As long as the employer is willing to pay the daily overtime, the employer can legally set almost any schedule they want in CA without the employees agreeing to it.
                  That's my understanding too, which is why I didn't mention it. Since the change to 5 8's would no longer give rise to the possibility of an exception to the daily overtime regulations, my opinion (which won't get you a cuppa of Starbucks) is therefore that a vote would not be required.
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Fine with me.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X