This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peer wages California

Just before I registered with this site, I was searching the archives and found some information which applied to my question:

raquel
    10-30-2004, 06:57 AM
    Female michigan manager. Honestly, I don't know what it is? It first started when I was an Assistant.I was in a training store. They hired a man giving him $6,000 more than they gave me. I let that go because I just said he was older and had more experience. Second time was when they gave me a promotion to become a store manager in another store. The shift supervisior at my training store also got promoted to Assistant Manager was making 9.50 gave her the same amount as me being now a store manager. The third time was when i found out my assistant makes approx. the same amount as me. Shouldn't it be some sort of set percentage between an asst. and the store manager? Toping on the cake was when i just had my mid year review and my new DM stated they didn't give me the money i should have gotten?Then he started talking about how there is racism out there etc. I didn't know how to respond? To be honest I don't think its racism I think it's more to do with my age? I'm the youngest Store Manager in my district of 20 stores and almost 95% positive in the region as well. Hopefully, that's enough information?

10-30-2004, 07:43 AM
    There isn't any requirement that there be a certain distance in wages between a manager and his/her assistant. However, under federal law and in many states, there must be a legal business reason for differences between peers performing the same job responsibilities.

You say that there it isn't racial discrimination but discrimination based on age. Unfortunately, age discrimination protects persons who are 40 years or older. Even then, courts have found that it isn't discriminatory to favor a person who is older than another, even when they are both over 40.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

My question related to the aforementioned federal law regarding peer wages in the same job responsibilities ... can you cite the federal law or offer information where to find it? Thank you in advance.

There isn't a law that says the employer can pay differently based on experience, only laws that state what factors may not be used as the basis for paying someone less (or more). See www.eeoc.gov for the federal guidelines.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X