This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no eating or breaks Ohio

Hi i work at (deleted) Monday through Friday i work a maximum of 5 hours and no complaints. On saturday and sunday all the servers are there from 9-11 hours with no breaks and we are not allowed to eat. We are not allowed to purchase food at the work place
    or bring anything in to eat. I am wondering if this is legal? I asked the proprietor and he said in the the state of ohio he is not required to
    feed us or to give us any breaks. I am 25 and i do understand that its to
    be given to minors, but honestly this is inhumane.
    Last edited by cbg; 07-15-2008, 03:56 AM.

I'm really sorry but your employer is correct - no meal and/or rest break requirements for adults in Ohio except for certain railroad workers.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

breaks

I want to work in ohio......get a hold of a labor law attorney....

Comment

Originally posted by silkwood View Post
        I want to work in ohio......get a hold of a labor law attorney....

An attorney can do nothing for the poster. What part of "No law has been violated" don't you understand?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

pattymd

I would like you to sit like them and have no breaks, you would contact a lawyer in a minute, sit in their shoes.

Comment

I would like you to sit like them and have no breaks, you would contact a lawyer in a minute, sit in their shoes.
            You're not getting it. It's not illegal!!!!!!!!!! What do you expect the attorney to do?

And how do you know I haven't? My state doesn't require meal or rest breaks either.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Don't feed the troll guys/gals. She said she was leaving for good but now she's back spewing her nonsense again.
              "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

Originally posted by Eng&SafetyMGR View Post
                Don't feed the troll guys/gals. She said she was leaving for good but now she's back spewing her nonsense again.
                I know, I know, sometimes it just fries me that she gives such poor advice (or just plain wrong answers), to people who don't know that it's nonsense.

Good-bye, Kelly.
                Last edited by Pattymd; 07-25-2008, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Bettie82, If your employer won't give you the breaks the only other option is to contact your state representative and have the law changed. This just happened (or is in the process) in PA so it's certainly possible.
                  "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

saftey?

she could be a diabetic idiot! You people are the ones who are wrong, do you all work for the government?

Comment

?

Razor means it's everyone screwed up, now it's a conspiracy to cover their butts................

Comment

Razor means it's everyone screwed up, now it's a conspiracy to cover their butts................

You really ARE clueless, aren't you?

Comment

Silkwood, if you are going to continue in this manner, come back and post a link to the law that says an employer in Ohio is required to provide breaks. Otherwise, do not post again.

NO ONE is saying that it is a good idea for an employer to refuse breaks. We are saying that the law does not require an employer to do so. Either back up your statements with proof or stop posting inaccurate information.
                          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                          Working...
                          X