This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help! contract labor Kentucky

I've worked the same job for nearly the last 3 years, From what i heard in this disorganized business i've always been considered contract labor which i took as being responsible for turning in my own taxes and not receiving workers comp.

this last week I went in on my last day of the week thursday worked all day then got payed as usual. the next day I received a phone call telling me the business was shutting down. this leaves me in a terrible position. I've been told by some people that i also cant claim unemployment, if this is the case i don't know what i'm going to do. I never signed a contract or any sort. can someone please tell me if theres any type of unemployment i can get or something...

thanks.

Since you haven't posted anything about what you actually do other than you are an independent contractor, all I can tell you is to try filing anyway. If you are an IC, then UC isn't an option. On the off chance you are incorrectly designated, you may be eligible but not having any idea what you do, there is no way to even begin to guess that this is the case.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

sorry, i worked at a car lot, doing car details, minor mechanics and things like that. taxes werent taken out but i did receive papers during tax time and I payed in taxes every year. i'm just kinda frustrated i guess because i worked this crappy job for 3 years, only received one raise in this time, never recieved overtime which i always worked. now they close in one day and i have no notice at all. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Seriously, I could see a car dealership having someone come in and do the detailing if the dealership had no one else doing it. If the person doing it did the same kind of work for other dealers, he/she could be an independent contractor.

There is no penalty in filing for unemployment, even if you are denied.

You may also consider going to the IRS for a ruling on your status (employee or IC).
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

If you were an IC then raises and OT woulnd't be part of the deal.
          I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X