This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overpayment of wages North Carolina

This past year from August to April I was overpayed by my employer. I am no longer employeed with them, but of course I know that I am resposible for paying them back and have agreed to do so already. However, they are trying to get ugly about it and insist that i pay it back in a year even though at this time I can't afford to pay all of my bills and current obligations and pay that large of a monthly payment to them. Is there any way they could take money from me that i don't have? and if they took me to court over it, would the judge not look at my finances and see that I don't have an income that allows for that kind of a payment? all of this knowing that i am willing to send them checks every chance possible...two weeks, one week, etc.

Originally posted by andera22 View Post
    Is there any way they could take money from me that i don't have? and if they took me to court over it, would the judge not look at my finances and see that I don't have an income that allows for that kind of a payment? all of this knowing that i am willing to send them checks every chance possible...two weeks, one week, etc.
    See if you can work out a payment agreement with them. If they accept, pay them on time, every time! If they refuse to work out a payment plan with you, there's not much you can do. If they sue, you can explain your situation to the judge and hope for a sympathetic ear and hope that the judge can get the company to agree to a payment plan, but there's no gaurantee.

With the judgement, the company may be able to garnish your wages, bank account, etc.

Good Luck!
    My opinions are just that and are not to be taken as legal advice.

Responses are based on life experience, personal research, and/or knowledge gained from the experts here.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X