This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peronal automobile being used to run Co. errands Louisiana

Is there any law in Louisiana that states an employer should or must pay mileage or reimburse for gas used if an employee is using their own personal automobile to run to the errands of the office?

I use my personal car all the time to run in between the two offices and run misc. errands as well as go grocerey shopping for the office and I am not paid mileage or reimbursed for gas.
    Last edited by bkt220; 05-28-2008, 12:04 PM.

Your font is difficult to read, but I got it.

I think only California and Massachusetts require employees be reimbursed for expenses and I am not sure to what extent Mass does that.

While it is not illegal to refuse to pay mileage, it is short-sighted.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

I think it is very short sighted. I traveled over 100 miles in 3 weeks time and now they are wondering why I won't run errands anymore.

Comment

If your nonreimbursed business expenses exceed 2% of your AGI, though, you can deduct them from your taxes if you itemize.
        http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p529.pdf
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Patty you got to it before I could! That's my favorite bit of advice.

Deduct Deduct Deduct! The good thing about gas prices going up is that you hit that 2% threshold a lot quicker!

Comment

Jinx, TS. Where's my coke?

bkt220, I would also check with your insurance agent regarding possible extra car insurance coverage, especially if the company is not indemnifying you.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

If the mileage expense cuts into min wage or OT, then it needs to be reimbursed.

I'd be offended if an employer used the 2% deduction to justify not reimbursing mileage. Your average employee is not going to benefit from that deduction.

Assuming the OP would continue to accrue business mileage at 100 per 3 weeks. The available deduction, at the 2008 SMR, will be $875 before the 2% haircut. At the AGI's where that deduction is not completely phased out, it is extremely unlikely that there are more itemized deductions then the standard deduction.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X