This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severance and STD-NC North Carolina

Earlier this year I was in a terrible accident which has put me on STD. Throughout my recovery I was told to send in numerous updates of my progress. During this time my company was going through a mass lay off so my position was terminated. I was then informed that following my STD I would recieve a severance package. Well I just recently had to take an 8 hour nuerophysc eval at the hospital to determine the extent of my brain injuries. Coincidentally during this time I received a call from HR offering me my job back, I told them I would love to come back and that is all depended on my results. Well I got the results and there was more damage than they thought so they recommended I remain out of work for additional months. I called HR and told them my bad news and they told me that if I did not accept the job offer that I would not only loose my severance but be terminated. I said I was physically unable to accept the position and they said that I would be terminated if I couldn't produce. I just need to know I realize that severance is a gift and if it is not taken then it is lost but I did not know that my job would re open and that is not my fault I could not accept it. I also wonder how they could offer me a job while I am on STD and unable to accept in the first place? Thanks

You were offered severance should you be laid off, however you were offered another job so severance was recinded. Very standard for most companies.

You can be terminated while you are on STD. Check the plan document to see if it pays you past termination.

From what I have read, nothing they have done is illegal.
    -----------------------------------------
    98% of the population is asleep. The other 2% are staring around in complete amazement, abject terror, or both.

Comment

You were told you would receive a severance package if your job was eliminated. However; you were later offered your job back - if you cannot accept it (your fault or not), you can be terminated & no severance need be paid. Your STD should not stop just because you are terminated (would be rare) but you would have to check your plan document to see how long it continues.

The company has done wrong/illegal. Sorry. I wish you the best on your recovery.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X